Dr. Beth Patin
Information Equity ~ Cultural Competence ~ Crisis Informatics ~ Epistemicide
Dr. Beth Patin is an Assistant Professor at Syracuse University’s School of Information Studies. Beth’s research agenda focuses on the equity of information in two research streams: crisis informatics and cultural competence. She is the co-founder of the Library Information Investigative Team research group. Currently, she is working on projects about epistemicide and at the intersection of disability and race in youth literature. Additionally, she is a member of the Advisory Board on the Laura Bush Foundation for America’s Libraries.
Beth Patin PhD MSIS MLIS
The 2021 Sister Thea Bowman Lecture Series
Social Justice in Library and Information Science
"The Ethics of Epistemic Justice: Addressing Epistemicide through Social Justice in LIS"
Learn More About Dr. Patin's 2021-2024 IMLS early career grant
INTERCONNECTED: How Public Libraries as Essential Information Infrastructures Enhance Community Resilience
Abstract: "Syracuse University will investigate how public libraries build capacity to enhance community resilience throughout disasters. The project will investigate (1) the role public libraries have previously played throughout disasters, (2) how public libraries can build capacity throughout disasters to enhance community resilience, (3) what critical elements are needed to create a flexible and comprehensive disaster management plan, and (4)the best practices for libraries to collaborate across sectors to enhance community resilience. Research outcomes will develop understanding among library and information science researchers and practitioners about the best practices to plan for disaster management and will lead to the creation of a toolkit and training materials to practically support public libraries in addressing vital community needs throughout disasters."
- Award: Dr. Beth Patin and Tyler Youngman of Syracuse University win the 2022 Best Conference Paper Award from the Association of Library and Information Science Education
- News: Dr. Beth Patin Appointed to New York State Board of Regents Advisory Council on Libraries
- Award: Dr. Beth Patin won Syracuse University's 2021 Meredith Teaching Award for Early Performance, selected as 1 of 2 winners from the School of Information Studies
- Exhibit: Rocket City Civil Rights Story Map
- Presentation: Librarians Working through Trauma